My friend Carlye passed along the recipe for these family jewels. In her original notes, they were called No Bake Chia Bites. In the spirit of Eat Clean, Live Dirty – and because I tweaked the recipe a bit – I am calling them Superpower Balls.
Let me start by saying my boys (The Dirty) LOVE Superpower Balls. Gus and Ben helped me perfect the formula and now I offer them up any time I hear, “I’m hungry!” Even the boys agree that if you invest personal effort, your food tastes better. Especially if it’s sweet and tastes more like candy than a health food.
I am on a HUGE nut/seed kick right now. They’re an easy, on-the-go snack (especially when made into Superpower Balls) and provide healthy fats, antioxidants, protein, and fiber, which are filling and help fight disease. Not only is this recipe kid-friendly, it’s also an excellent source of post-workout fuel (whenever I remember to pack them with me, that is).
So, here is the super simple recipe that takes less than 10 minutes:
|Recipe: Superpower Balls|| |
- 1½ C Dry Rolled Oats
- ½ C Peanut Butter or more! (Look for brands that only contain ground peanuts and/or salt)
- ⅓ – ½ C Raw Honey
- ½ C Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- ½ C Ground Flax Seed
- 2 T Chia Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Mix everything together and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll into balls or use a cookie dropper to shape.
- Keep refrigerated for up to one week. Use parchment paper to stack and separate in storage containers. Makes approximately two dozen.
* Make sure to add enough peanut butter so they stick together, otherwise they’re too crumbly. Another nut or seed butter can be used in place of peanut butter if you prefer. The original recipe called for chocolate chips. In effort to avoid processed sugars, I eliminated them. If you do want to add chocolate chips, I recommend Enjoy Life Mini Chips that contain only 3 ingredients, are Non-GMO Project Verified, and are free of 8 of the most common allergens.
Try my Superpower Balls and let me know what you think. Happy, CLEAN eating!