Let me start by saying I love coconut. LOVE coconut. So much so that I’d put the lime in the coconut and drink them both up. Fresh from Hawaii, these easy, decadent no-bake cookies take me right back to the island. Not really, but one can pretend…
My friend Brook brought a version of these to a recent dinner party and EVERYONE raved over them. They’re rich, creamy, and provide the perfect balance of salty and sweet.
|No-Bake Coconut Cream Cookies|| |
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup, preferably organic
- ½ cup organic extra virgin coconut oil
- ½ cup organic light coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 5 cups organic flaked coconut
- ½ cup peanut butter (or other nut butter of your choosing). Make sure the only ingredient is peanuts and/or salt.
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- In a saucepan, combine the maple syrup, coconut oil, and coconut milk over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the oil melts and the mixture starts to boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the vanilla and sea salt.
- Pour liquid mixture into a mixing bowl and add coconut. Depending on what consistency of coconut you choose, you may need to add more or less. It should be moist, but not runny.
- Add nut butter (optional) and stir well.
- Add chocolate chips. I stirred mine well so they began to melt. If you prefer chunkier chocolate bits, stir gently.
- Use a spoon or cookie drop to place in mini muffin pans or on parchment paper.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Makes 3 dozen.
Notes: Unsweetened coconut can be hard to find at conventional grocery stores. I use Bob’s Red Mill Flaked Unsweetened Coconut, but you can use shredded coconut as well. You may have to add more or less coconut depending on what type you use. I buy my Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil in 54 oz. containers and use it as a replacement for vegetable oil in all of my baked goods and for frying. It doesn’t break down at high temperatures, smells delicious, and adds a sweet, nutty flavor to foods. As I’ve mentioned, I prefer Enjoy Life Mini Chips that contain only three ingredients and keep this recipe gluten, dairy, and egg free! Brook melted chocolate and drizzled it over the top of her cookies which made for a lovely presentation (but quite frankly, I’m too lazy for that).